School of Charleston President Andrew T. Hsu shared the subsequent information with the campus neighborhood on Monday, Aug. 16, 2021:
Dear School and Team,
I apologize in advance for the size of this e-mail, but I want to update you on the hottest COVID-19 protocols and processes for campus as we in close proximity to the official starting of the tumble 2021 semester.
I know we all hoped that the COVID-19 pandemic would component in significantly less this semester than the past handful of, but, unfortunately, that is not the scenario. The chance posed by the virus is continue to incredibly a great deal between us, and we have to go on to comply with mitigation protocols in purchase to best lessen the dangers and keep our campus as safe and wholesome as feasible.
Permit me begin with some incredibly uncomplicated guidance:
- If you have not by now performed so, speak to your health care provider and get vaccinated.
- If you are indoors and all over some others, sign up for me and mask up!
- Just take gain of the cost-free and recurrent testing activities on campus, and if you feel unwell, stay home and get analyzed.
Signing up for alongside one another and adhering to these steps out of regard for our local community and each other, we can and we will have a safe and sound and productive semester. Under are much more specific updates on our Fall 2021 COVID-19 mitigation program.
Vaccinations for Learners and Employees
- Anyone in our campus neighborhood (college students and employees) is strongly encouraged to get vaccinated. Notice: for every state regulation, the Faculty of Charleston is NOT authorized to need COVID-19 vaccination.
- Free vaccination clinics will be manufactured readily available to pupils twice a 7 days once courses commence by Student Health Services (181 Calhoun Road).
- Employees can find any variety of free clinics all over campus and all through the Charleston region.
- The College will start accumulating staff vaccination status on a voluntary foundation.
- The Faculty will announce incentive strategies for both of those vaccinated learners and staff. Incentives will variety from scholarships for learners to experienced development funds for team. Details on these systems will be coming out shortly.
- Only those who have submitted evidence of vaccination will be eligible for these incentives.
- Vaccination statistics
- Workforce: Centered on a former nameless study of faculty and staff this summer months, we can estimate about 93% of the staff population is absolutely vaccinated. The manner of the study does existing some opportunity bias, but it does demonstrate that, presented the sample size, an frustrating the vast majority of our workers are vaccinated. The Higher education will carry on to stimulate personnel to voluntarily report their vaccination status in this article.
- Pupils: Students keep on to upload their vaccination documentation before the get started of courses, and, at this time, virtually 60 per cent of the complete university student entire body has indicated that they have received a COVID-19 vaccine.
- The Higher education strongly encourages the wearing of confront masks while all over some others, indoors. Note: for each state legislation, the Faculty is NOT authorized to demand masks on campus.
- Whilst not necessary, school and staff members can talk to other individuals all over them to please voluntarily have on a mask though interacting with them.
- For case in point, it is affordable for faculty associates who have youthful young children at residence who are not able to be vaccinated to share that circumstance with the college students in their class and request that out of regard for their family/situations that college students please voluntarily use a face mask though in their class.
- The Faculty has a supply of maroon, cloth face masks out there at Central Merchants. If you have to have confront coverings, please speak to Central Merchants about scheduling a shipping and delivery.
- Procurement is at the moment operating to source N-95 facial area masks for school to use in the classroom, if they so choose. At the time all those N-95 masks are accessible, they will be provided to the a variety of deans’ offices.
- Signage encouraging experience mask usage will be displayed all-around campus to remind pupils, employees and readers to mask up.
College student Tests
- All students are expected to post a destructive COVID-19 exam before returning to campus.
- There are two exemptions to this need:
- Ongoing tests will be provided on a weekly basis all over the semester.
- Be aware: For each condition legislation, the College is NOT authorized to mandate tests for unvaccinated pupils, with the exception of the arrival testing.
- Employees are welcome to take part in the weekly testing clinics.
- In addition, the Faculty is discovering immediate-screening options for workers.
- This testing alternative can be made use of as often as desired by school and staff.
- Additional details concerning this work will be forthcoming.
Quarantine and Isolation Protocol for Pupils
- Vaccinated learners who have shut call with a COVID-19 positive individual will not have to quarantine instantly.
- They will be asked to intently monitor symptoms really should signs establish, they will need to notify Pupil Wellness Companies and be tested.
- Non-vaccinated college students who have close contact with a COVID-19 beneficial specific will have to quarantine for 10 times and be tested.
- If they turn out to be symptomatic or exam constructive, they will isolate for 10 days from the date of the optimistic examination.
- Classes that ended up not in the beginning produced as totally on-line will be carried out in a confront-to-deal with manner at their scheduled time and place.
- In courses where by there are a series of COVID-19 absences, college may well elect to move the part to a thoroughly on the internet manner for the length of the time the learners are in quarantine.
- Students in quarantine or isolation should make preparations with their professors to retain up on their coursework.
- The Faculty is no for a longer period permitted to give COVID-19 distinct lodging as it did final educational year.
- Even so, the Higher education nonetheless provides accommodations as needed by ADA and FMLA. If you consider your situation qualify for either of these two, please work with your supervisor and coordinate with Human Sources.
- Much more information and facts about personnel-similar issues can be observed in the Personnel Information FAQ on Back again on the Bricks web site.
Non-Tutorial and Pupil Occasions and Functions
- In typical, indoor events or functions are confined to no additional than 50 folks or the ability of the space, whichever is significantly less.
- Outdoor activities must be limited to a dimensions correct for the place that permits for right social distancing.
- All situations must strongly encourage social distancing and the wearing of face masks.
- Food stuff need to be pre-packaged and served as “grab-and-go” as suitable.
- Sottile Theater, Athletics and Dining Services will keep on to stick to their respective COVID-19 protocols and are, thus, exempt from the above occasion limits.
Place of work Space and Conference Protocol
- All places of work should stay open up, but in scaled-down offices and lobbies, it is permissible to post signage that asks men and women not to congregate and, in motive, to restrict the amount of men and women in a space.
- Employees are inspired to check with site visitors to use a encounter mask in their business, if that makes them far more comfortable.
- Virtual meetings are encouraged to carry on, as ideal.
As generally, make sure you refer to the Back on the Bricks site for the College’s hottest updates on our COVID-19 treatments and protocols.
Andrew T. Hsu, Ph.D.
Higher education of Charleston